To learn C Programming, one needs only a few things.
- A Computer ( There are many ways to do C Programming in mobile / web, but for now we are following the traditional way )
- A C Compiler
- And, a normal working human brain with passion, energy, patience and positive mind.
That’s all folks. Now, first we need to install the C Compiler in our computer.
But wait, what is a Compiler ?
A computer doesn’t understand the language we speak. And most of the programming languages (such as : C, C++, C#, JAVA etc) are written in a language that we humans can read and understand. But to let the machines/computers understand, we must convert the codes of the program we have written to a language that the computer can read, understand and process. That’s what a compiler do. It converts the source code (code) of a program written in any programming language to a lower level language that the computer understands and can process.
In short, we can say, a compiler is a piece of computer program or a special kind of software, which converts/translates human readable computer code written in any programming language into another language that the computer understands.
According to Wikipedia :
A compiler is a computer program that translates computer code written in one programming language (the source language) into another language (the target language). The name compiler is primarily used for programs that translate source code from a high-level programming language to a lower level language (e.g., assembly language, object code, or machine code) to create an executable program.Wikipedia Link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler
How to install C :
There are many compilers available for C and C++. For now we are going to use a very basic and commonly used compiler Turbo C++ 3.2 in Windows.
Now, follow the steps.
- Download the file from the link given above.
- Extract the Zip File
- In the extracted folder, you will find a few files including ‘setup.exe’
- Right click on ‘setup.exe’ and click on ‘Run as Administrator’
- Click ‘Yes’ on the Permission Dialogue Box
- Follow the installation instructions given by the installer
If you did everything correctly, it should be done. In case of any errors, please check the solution of common Turbo C++ issues here.
How to use Turbo C++ :
- Double click on “Turbo C++” either from start menu, or in the shortcut link on the desktop. You will get a screen like following :
- If you want run turbo c++ on full screen simply click on button “Run Turbo C++”
If you do not want full screen mode, then uncheck the “Full screen mode” check box on the bottom left of the window, and click on the button “Start Turbo C++”
If you chose Full Scree, you will get the full screen mode :
If you unchecked the fullscreen mode checkbox, you will get the Window Mode :
System Requirements :
- Windows XP/Vista/7 : .NET 4.5 Framework Required.
- Windows 8/8.1/10 : No Pre-Requirements.
That’s all. We are done. In future posts, we will talk about how to write a basic c program, basics of C Language, Advance C Programs, Data Structures and many things.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, helpful, questions or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Arijit Banerjee is a Passionate Web Developer and a Cyber Security Enthusiast.